Saturday, October 27, 2012

Blog Post #9

Joe McClung's Blog post for May 27, 2008-09

   I found Mr. McClung's reflection on his first year to be very interesting. I found it to be informative and I believe there is a lot of great information within for a first year teacher. Many of his thoughts regarding his first year align with my concerns going into education.
   Upon first arriving at Mr. McClung's blog paragraphs, titles like "Be Flexible", "Be Reasonable", and "Communicate" suggested to me I might be in store for a blog post consisting of information I already knew, subsequently wasting my time. I was mistaken. I found each point to be common sense, yet informative and if nothing else a great reminder of the characteristics that make an educator a great one.
   Among the various principles that Mr. McClung spoke on in his post, I found his assertions on flexibility and communication to be the most beneficial to me. Principles learned in early elementary school, we all know how to communicate effectively with others and to remain flexible with things do not go as exactly as planned. There is no exception in the classroom. As Mr. McClung points out, the lesson you teach and the one you plan are almost always different. You have to be flexible in order to make the lesson as effective as it can be. Along with flexibility, communication with students and teachers alike is vital for healthy workplace relationships and essential to gaining the respect and attention from your students.
   Along with other great points, Joe MccClung did a wonderful job of laying a blueprint for a new teacher to establish a great learning environment for their students and a great working relationship with their fellow teachers.


Joe McClung's Blog post for

   It is obvious that Mr. McClung has a come a long way in his professional career in the four years that separates the blog posts I chose to write about. Similar to his first year's post, Mr. McClung is reflecting on the year.
   In this post, Mr. McClung has found that he has become somewhat comfortable and has relaxed prohibiting him from being the best educator he can be. I imagine that this happens to everyone. It is the educators that realize the condition and work to correct it that make a difference. Like Mr. McClung, it is important to revitalize your techniques and continue learning to teach. He has the fortune of teaching new courses next year which will force him to create new methods of delivering new curriculum.
   Mr. McClung also discusses his feelings on the relationship he has with fellow teachers and his concerns with how they view him professionally. I think it is so refreshing to read an educator's viewpoints of their past school year that includes not only the relationships with their students but their peers as well.
   I can see where a blog like this would be very helpful to other teachers. I look forward to implementing a personal blog myself that will have a similar affect on up and coming teachers as this one did me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sam your blog post was very interesting as well as well written. You showed that you genuinely understood and enjoyed the reflections that were written by Mr.McClung. In addition you had little spelling and grammatical errors. The first error is in the sentence, “… Along with other great points, Joe MccClung did a wonderful job of laying a blueprint for a new…”. In this sentence you need to change “MccClung” to “McClung”. Then the second and final error was found in the sentence that states, “I look forward to implementing a personal blog myself that will have a similar affect on up and coming teachers as this one did me.” In this particular sentence you need to change “affect” to “effect”. Other than these two errors you need to add links for Joe McClung’s reflection posts. Pictures may also liven up your post as well. Although you had a few mistakes I reading enjoyed your post and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... suggested to me I might be in store for a blog post consisting of information I already knew, subsequently wasting my time." How eager we are to make judgement without the facts! You have lots of company!

    Your summaries should should summarize all the points made by an author. then you can select a subset upon which to comment.

    ReplyDelete